Bath time for Eloise

There's a lot I'm still learning about renovating a vintage camper - like how you can't just go in and rip everything out due to the way cabinetry and other things are actually what keep some of the camper intact. So while I've spent the last couple of weeks just watching videos on YouTube and talking to people on forums, not much has actually been done.

Our first priority, that didn't have much to do with renovation, was to replace the axle and tires so we could at least make her mobile and move her to a more ideal working spot in the yard (also so she isn't such an eyesore for the neighborhood). We picked up a new axle and attempted to replace it this weekend, but found we're going to need a bit more manpower for both safety and working reasons. Since my husband's go-to buddy wasn't around to help, it didn't get done. 

But I wasn't about to let another gorgeous weekend go by without doing something, so did the next-first-step - a bath! 

Since most of her original "skin" (the aluminum outside she's incased in) is still in great shape despite needing a paint job, cleaning it up was something that would need to be done at some point. The poor girl was riddled with mildew, algae, and just layers of grime since she's gone 20 something years without being used.      


After a bit of research on some restoration Facebook pages, I had the tools for the job!


I mixed 3 cups of water with 1 cup of Simple Green ProHD into the spray bottle and generously sprayed it to the first side of the camper I decide to tackle. The jug specifically stated not to let the mixture dry on whatever you're cleaning, so I figured doing this in sections would be the way to go. 

Not photographed is a brillo pad, which was the real MVP of this job. Very rarely did I need the scrub brush and sponge, as the brillo did the job just fine. 

I feel the act of cleaning is pretty self explaintory, so I'll let the following photos speak for me instead:    

Little half and half comparison 

Little half and half comparison 


It's amazing what a bit of cleaner, water, and elbow grease can do! The whole process took about 4 hours and cost around $20.  





Professional web & graphic designer with a passion for crafting, DIY, and all things Pinterest.